Powerlifting

Powerlifting


So you want to be big and strong and look like those models on the front of Men’s Fitness magazine? Well move on ‘cause this is not the article for you - besides those guys may look strong, but looks aren’t everything. In this article, I am going to introduce you to the Wendler 5/3/1 program. This program is a powerlifting program that builds real strength. Will you gain muscle? Heck YEAH. Will you be ripped like a male fitness model? Probably not. You want functional strength - not pretty boy puffy muscles. You want to be able to lift those heavy boxes when you are moving (I have done this more than I have wanted to), or deadlift that part of a heavy tree that fell in your yard (yup - done this too). You want to be able to do things that require STRENGTH - WHOLE BODY STRENGTH and not just isolated muscles that do not know how to work together.

I am going to tell you a little bit about my story and my frustrations with trying to bodybuilding and why I decided to make the switch to powerlifting. I will also outline for you the Wendler 5/3/1 program and why I think it is a good program for anyone, especially those transitioning from a bodybuilding type program to a powerlifting program. I will finish up with some good reference material for you to look at so you can dig deeper into this program.

My Frustrations


My first piece of advice is that if you are going to choose a program STICK WITH IT. Don’t hop from program to program. This could be one reason that you are not seeing any gains.
One of the things that I was having an issue with was exactly this, jumping from program to program every few months. I enjoy my time in the gym and would notice gains after a few months and though - “hey everyone talks about muscle confusion and I want to confuse my muscles and get big!” So I would look around and use the next program that caught my eye that I found on the internet or found by talking to friends.

I have always tried to be aesthetic in working hard in my “bodybuilding” journey, but I did not think about one thing - my body type.

My body type is an Endomorphic body type. I put on weight easily and if I don’t pay really close attention to my diet I don’t lose weight. I can put on muscle easily, but it is HARD for me to look like a bodybuilder like I was trying to.

Mesomorphs have a much easier time putting on muscle while staying lean. “The mesomorph classification applies to people who have wide shoulders, narrow waists, and more proportionate limbs. Their compact, muscular physiques are generally considered ideal for engaging in many athletic pursuits, from weightlifting to endurance running. Like endomorphs, mesomorphs usually have an easy time putting on muscle, but they have a much easier time of staying lean.” (1)

My goal was to be strong, and that was something that I had to come to terms with for myself. Did I want to look like I was strong or actually BE STRONG? I wanted to be strong. This is something that you are going to have to decide for yourself. Examine your motives and take a look at your body type and see what will work for you.

Am I saying that a Mesomorph body type can’t be a bodybuilder and look great? No - not at all. In fact I know a few guys who have the mesomorph body type and are great bodybuilders and really enjoy it. They just work a lot harder at keeping their diet in check than I do.

After examining myself and deciding I wanted to be strong for REAL and after talking to some of my friends that actually are strong I decided to commit to at least 1 year of powerlifting. The program that I decided to go with is the the Wendler 5/3/1 program.



Wendler 5/3/1 Program




So what is the Wendler 5/3/1 program. In short it is an easy to understand powerlifting program where you are working out 3 or 4 days a week performing full body work each day focusing on the following main lifts: Bench Press, Squats, Deadlifts, and Overhead/Military Press with an “intelligent progression system” (2).

These are your 4 core lifts and you supplement these with assistance lifts that help you to further build the strength you are looking for and also to help prevent injury. You need to “complement 5/3/1 training with assistance work to build muscle, prevent injury, and create a balanced physique. Options include chin-ups, dips, lunges, and back extension” (3) and others as you fit them into your training.

This is not just a program for beginners as Jim Wendler himself says “Generally, I tell everyone to just do the program as is, regardless of training age. Of course, if you're a trainer and are using the program with a novice athlete or someone new to training, simply use your experience to make whatever changes are required – though there shouldn't be many.” (2) So this program is for everyone from the novice power lifter to the experienced power lifter.

Jim advises to err on the side of lighter weights. In his book 5/3/1 Jim suggests to start off with lighter weights so that you are hitting personal records (PR) more often and for a longer period of time. This does 2 things: 1 - it gives you an emotional or ego boost that you are actually accomplishing something and 2 - it helps you stay with the program longer. So err on the side of caution and light weights. Powerlifting is not an overnight miracle pill to get you stronger instantly. This is a journey and a lifestyle that you need to embrace. Commit yourself to getting STRONG.
Depending on if you are doing a 3 day or 4 day workout week determines how many of the core exercises you are going to perform. I choose to do the 4 day workout week as that allows me to do one core lift per day and then work on my assistance exercises.

The basic workout consists of your warm up lifts, your core lifts, and your assistance lifts. Your training cycles will last 4 weeks and consist of the following set to rep matrix:

Week 1 - 3 sets of 5 reps
Week 2 - 3 sets of 3 reps
Week 3 - 3 sets of 1 rep
Week 4 - Deload

This is where Jim gets the 5/3/1 from is the reps per set. The deload week is like a recovery week where you are using lighter weights than normal, but still doing work.
The weight you are lifting is based off of the percentage of your one rep max. I will post a few links below to show you how to calculate your one rep max (1RM). Ten you are working out at a percentage of that. In week 1 you would be using 65% of your 1RM on your 1 lift of your 1st set, 75% on your 2nd lift of your second set, and 85% or your 1RM on your 3rd lift of your 3rd set.

More Information


If you are interested in getting STRONG then I would suggest Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1program.

One Rep Max Links:
            Testing your 1RM
Finding Percentage of your 1RM

5/3/1 Program Links:
            Jim Wendler’s website
                        https://jimwendler.com/
            T-Nation
                        https://www.t-nation.com/training/5-3-1-for-hardgainers
                        https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/531-how-to-build-pure-strength
            Muscle & Strength

I would also suggest checking out Jim’s update book 5/3/1 Hard Copy (2nd Edition). It is new so I am not sure you can find it at your library but you can get it from Amazon. You can also get his newest book  5/3/1 Forever Hard Copy at Amazon as well. These books will go into detail on the program and get you ready to be STRONG.

References
  1. http://weightliftingforbeginners.com/bodybuilding-body-types-analysis/
  2. https://jimwendler.com/blogs/jimwendler-com/101065094-5-3-1-for-a-beginner
  3. https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/531-how-to-build-pure-strength
  4. Book 5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training System for Raw Strength (2nd Edition)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Start of My Keto Journey

Coconut Chicken Curry